UK/GLOBAL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
GLENWYVIS DISTILLERY, DINGWALL
In 2016, GlenWyvis raised £2.6 million from 2,600 investors as the UK’s biggest community crowd-funded project. As the world’s first 100% community-owned distillery, GlenWyvis is now being built high on a hill overlooking the historic Highland town of Dingwall and is on schedule to open in late 2017. A second Open Share Offer was launched in early August and has already raised an addition £200,000 to help accelerate the distillery’s brand development plans.
Against this background, the board of GlenWyvis Distillery is now looking to recruit a highly experienced Business Development Manager who will be responsible for developing national and international commercial agreements for the GlenWyvis spirit portfolio – including the negotiation of annual pricing and support mechanisms for key accounts. Commencing with GlenWyvis Gin, and then working closely with the Distillery Manager to create a broad range of whisky products, the successful applicant will play a key role in building a robust commercial platform to help secure the long-term success of GlenWyvis in both UK and global markets.
WHAT WE REQUIRE
Reporting direct to the board, the successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of business development including overseeing the existing sale and events team. The role will be responsible for developing a long-term commercial plan designed to provide customers with a compelling commercial offer and strategic support as required. The candidate will work closely with our external agencies to develop the brand and product offering (both gin and whisky) to ensure that they are fit-for-purpose in an increasingly competitive market. You will also lead the GlenWyvis team at UK and global trade shows and provide support for UK and clients through brand activation activities.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Developing and implementing the commercial strategy for all key clients and markets
• Gaining additional distribution among wholesalers, independent retailers, speciality outlets and hospitality outlets
• Securing new business and build customers relationships to improve market share
• Developing the volume and value of GlenWyvis brands through new business growth
• Developing online retail partnerships with spirit specialists and brand partners
• Preparing the strategy for all future product launches including whisky casks
• Taking accountability for meeting or exceeding commercial targets including negotiation of annual pricing and support mechanisms for each client/market
• Commercial accountability for ensuring repeat sales and growing profitable volume
• Delivering accurate financial and volume forecasts to the board on a monthly basis
• Supporting brand activation to ensure that all trade partners understand the unique GlenWyvis proposition
• Co-ordinating the spend of all marketing, PR, and activation budgets in key markets
WHAT YOU MUST OFFER
We’re looking for some one who is capable of building strong and sustainable relationships with customers and key influencers across the spirits industry. You need to be a commercial operator who knows how to get things done, and who has an in depth understanding of our potential customers’ business strategies, operating practices and cultures. Multifunctional commercial experience including spirit sales, commercial planning, category development, and market insight will all be desirable. The successful candidate will have a minimum of ten years experience and knowledge of both the off-trade and on-trade spirit market, preferably within the gin or whisky sectors in the UK at some level.
You will be:
• Educated to degree level – with relevant B2B sales experience
• Commercially-minded with a strong ability to analyse numeric sales and market data
• A people person with excellent communication skills, comfortable with creative ideas
• A skilled account manager with a good technical understanding of the spirit market
• A team player who is confident, persuasive, and can demonstrate a ‘can do’ attitude
• Ambitious, results-focused and with a proven track record of working independently
• Passionate about whisky and capable of hosting a tasting for either trade or consumers
• Able to present a full clean UK driving licence
If you believe you have the personal qualities and professional experience to drive business development for GlenWyvis Distillery, then we would be delighted to hear from you. To apply for this exciting and challenging position, please email your CV and covering letter to our Managing Director and Founder, John Mckenzie, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can learn more about our inspirational project at glenwyvis.com.