Job Title: Regional IP Counsel Africa, Guinness & Baileys
Posted date: 26th March 2018
Closing date: 23rd April 2018
Diageo is the world's leading premium drinks company, a business built on the principles and foundations laid by the giants of our industry.
Our purpose, celebrating life, every day, everywhere means that our brands are part of celebrations big and small. We believe that living our purpose in full is to make the most of life - to be the best you can be at work, at home, with friends, in the community, and for the community.
For this role, you will be required to provide key legal support for all IP issues for Diageo's Africa market (excluding North Africa), including support for the Marketing and Innovation agenda. You will lead counsel to Diageo's beer category and Baileys, providing IP and wider non-IP legal support to those GBTs.
Dimensions of the role
- Helping the Assistant General Counsel IP manage a total budget across Africa and the global beer and Baileys agenda, as well as managing IP legal fee spend that sits outside core legal function budgets
- Covers the IP registration, management and protection for all Diageo brands in Africa.
- Supporting Africa markets where Diageo's presence is through complex JV and distribution arrangements, and providing IP support for not just the Diageo brands but also in-market owned local brands
- A critical contributor to our fast-paced and ground-breaking Africa innovation agenda, preserving the value of our premium core brands whilst recognising the need for these brands to be at the forefront of Diageo's Futures agenda and the modern world
- Partner with the Guinness and Baileys Global Brand Directors and establish great relationships with the marketing directors in key Africa markets
- Help lead the Africa IP Paralegal by role modelling the Diageo Leadership Standard, help ensure that the structure and role of that Paralegal is appropriate and guarantee our plans with the right people and capabilities in this specialist function.
Qualifications and experience required
- Lawyer admitted to practice in England and Wales, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand with extensive IP experience (operating at a + years PQE) and experience of leading legal aspects of transactions in multiple common law or civil law jurisdictions
- Previous in-house experience not essential but experience of effectively influencing clients and business stakeholders is required and of being able to work with limited supervision
- Proven capability of dealing with sophisticated IP issues, challenges, risk mitigation and litigation
- Excellence in provision of legal leadership and advice across multiple countries
- Experience and evidence of working within Africa market essential
- Evidence of working in FMCG and/or Retail
Diageo's values are reinforced on a day to day basis; celebrating life, every day, everywhere. We are immensely proud of our brands and there are regular events and activities on-site that celebrate our successes. We also have a bar downstairs that serves some of our latest innovations.
It won't be easy; you will be challenged, tested and stretched but this is a great opportunity to take your career to the next level... please apply if you'd like to be part of the Diageo team!