Responsible for the leadership and management of one of Jameson’s key global geographic regions - AFRICA. This role will be tasked with delivering a comprehensive regional prioritisation of the markets while also accelerating new growth opportunities for the brand in emerging markets.
Jameson is one of the Group’s best performing brands, with a vision to be a Top 5 Impact Spirit Brand selling 15m cases by 2030.
18 key “lead Market” BMC’s, they are, USA, Russia, S.Africa, Ireland, UK, France, Germany, China, Japan, Canada, Australia, Nigeria, India, Sweden, Poland, Kenya, Italy & Brazil. The US remains our most valuable and important market representing 48% of total volume and delivering over 3m cases in sales. However, despite Africa currently accounts for just 8% of global volume, Jameson has identified Africa as a top strategic priority for the next 10 years and this role will be pivotal in how we shape and realize this potential.
You will be the Champion for the African region and working in close collaboration with the Senior Marketing Manager Africa, to engage with each of the markets to determine the opportunity and prioritisation for Jameson within their portfolios over the next 3-5years. It will be essential that you have a competency of accurate delivery in the short -term while having scope to develop strategy over the medium / long term.
You will take leadership in driving amplification of ‘clustering’ effect across the priority markets. Your role will be to maximise the synergies of ‘search and spin best practice to encourage cross fertilisation of excellence in execution. You will be responsible for building awareness, confidence and momentum around the African Region throughout all the teams within Irish Distillers Pernod Ricard
As part of the “Jameson International Marketing Team” you (and the other members of the Market Activation Team) will have overall responsibility for anticipating, identifying and satisfying consumer needs by supporting and guiding the development of inspiring, iconic and disruptive global strategies, initiatives and action plans which translate into local success. Consequently the scope of the role involves communicating the international marketing vision, objectives, strategies and initiatives. You will also work proactively with the emerging markets within Africa. You will be their representative within the marketing team and ensure that we address / challenge and service their needs as they move from seed market to acceleration market.
Reporting to: Senior Marketing Manager
Key Internal Relationships: Wider International Marketing team, the Leadership Team (IDL), Production, Operations, Customer relationship team, the Events Team, Finance, Legal, HR, The Irish Whiskey Academy, The Jameson Archive, Corporate Communications and Digital.
Key External Relationships: Pernod Ricard Market Co.’s (CEO/ Marketing Director / Brand Team / Finance / Commercial <where possible> / relevant experiential and inward visit agencies (Media / Digital / Events etc.)
Key Responsibilities for this Role:
Drive Global momentum by acting as the business development partner for the PR market company teams via project management of all key work streams between IDL and Market Co.’s (on both Jameson and Prestige portfolios) including but not limited to: (1) Brand Communications relevant for the region, (2) JG&L , (3) March, (4) Jameson Caskmates & Beer (5) BA Programme, (6) Content planning, (6) Owned/ Earned/ Shared Media, (7) pos, (8) Trade marketing, (9) Bartender, (10) Innovation, (11) Consumer Advocacy (12) Inward visits and inductions.
Ensure that an efficient communications system is put in place for each of these projects with your markets
Be the Champion of the African region by framing a strategic recommendation on regional growth and prioritisation for the business. Build awareness with key stakeholders of the regional importance and the essential areas of development required to realise the regions full potential.
Work closely with your identified AFRICAN priority markets to maximise the ‘clustering effect’ where synergies, best practice and search and spin can be maximised.
Consolidate the local market needs, give detailed & regular feedback to IMT and ensure co-development is achieved to deliver optimal AFRICAN tools for market.
Contribute to developing our ‘Build a Family Brand & Beyond’ by managing the different project workflows for our portfolio of Irish Whiskey’s and ensuring local market activity on our brands is driving commercial success and brand equity.
Ensure Commercial and Financial metrics are met via regular liaison with Customer Relations and finance teams, participation on the S&OP calls and monitoring SKU mix and overall business performance.
Take a lead role in the monthly S&OP conference calls to ensure seamless stock position for all current and future brand initiatives
Take a lead on the development, design and management of the Quarterly Alignment meeting with any lead markets within the region. Ensure all dates are confirmed for all stakeholders, ensure clear communication on identifying agenda items and make recommendation in terms of what topics are for Leadership and what are for the marketing teams. Take charge of all logistics and agendas for the meetings.
Strategic Direction & Planning Cycle – Work closely with Strategic Planning to set strategic direction & initiatives for the region. Be the market champion in terms of the development of the 3Yr plan as well as the annual Budget and Les Embiez presentations for markets within the region. Prepare and deliver market strategic reviews & market briefings prior to key market visits and stakeholder presentations
Build and maintain strong relationships within all key departments at appropriate market level. Hold a regular Weekly (bi-weekly) project status call with your counterparts in the markets. Ensure issue and challenges are raised to the appropriate level when necessary.
Build strong ways of working which enhance the smooth delivery of the market plan.
Build strong and actionable relationships internally. Take a leadership position in building deep awareness of your markets amongst the IMT ensuring that the various teams understand the market challenges and work closely with your key markets to build meaningful plans and relevant assets.
Regular liaison with the events, strategy, insights and finance teams
Assist in identifying & recruitment of appropriate graduates by market. Support and coach Market Activation Assistant during day to day tasks
Be a proactive contributing member of the Market Activation Team to ensure its continued development and long-term success. Additionally, offer wider participation in the IMT and always present an aligned voice from the MAT.
• At least Degree standard: MBA an advantage
• 6 years+ marketing & commercial experience, ideally both in a Market Co. and a Brand Co.
• Regional experience and expertise is required. Demonstrating your insights and understanding of the African region, consumers and local mores will prove a distinct advantage
• International consumer marketing experience, especially in international premium brands as well as digital marketing experience
• Portfolio expertise showing experience in portfolio management, prioritisation and value creation
• Preferred background, Spirits and wines / other drinks industry / FMCG.
• Adaptability in an international environment, willingness to travel and be based in Dublin, Ireland
• Languages: English is mandatory;
• Will have worked in or directly with Africa for at least 3 out of the last 5 years
• Will demonstrate a high level of ingenuity and adaptability under pressurised circumstances
• Will have a high level of emotional intelligence and a strong ability to build credible working relationships at all levels within IDL and Africa
• Will be very passionate about their role and can perform in full autonomy in a complex environment
• Will leverage market, consumer & shopper insights, consumer journey and route-to-market opportunities, to define priority targets, develop effective strategies and activations
• Will actively delivery on short term requirements while also demonstrating a a capacity for medium / long Term strategic planning
• Will have an entrepreneurial mindset to problem-solving and project delivery
• Will demonstrate a strong project management competency with a keen emphasis on leading cross functional teams to high end delivery
• Demonstrate an ability to manage multiple tasks with a high degree of operational accuracy
• Have a flexible and agile mindset with a strong action orientation