About the role
The Controls Automation and Electrical supervisor will be responsible for supervising the bottling, processing and facility controls and electrical maintenance department. Direct staff will consist of 7 technicians from day, second, and night shifts to support production and the facility, address and correct operational problems and perform preventative maintenance. This position will be demanding yet rewarding, as coverage is 24/7.
The position will be an integral part of the Maintenance and Engineering team on all aspects of the Automation Process in addition to continuing improvements for maximizing production in coordination with Mechanical and Facility Maintenance and Operations Supervisor. The Controls Automation and Electrical supervisor will be expected to work hand-in-hand with the Mechanical and Facility Maintenance Supervisor to ensure equipment availability Plant-wide.
The role requires solid technical skills, including Allen Bradley ControlLogix Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) hands-on knowledge, bottling line conveyor regulation, bottling line equipment balancing, and process controls.
In addition, the role requires the ability to direct workforce in order to efficiently and effectively perform equipment troubleshooting, calibration plan across campus, and in-house project work completed at targets.The position will also be responsible for developing, implementing solutions; Standard Operating Procedures' (SOP) related to control systems including Management of Changes.Full usage and proficiency of Distributed Control System programming (DCS), communication protocols and automatic report generation is expected.
This position will provide Automation and Process control support to meet customer needs for the business and enforce adherence to good practices, first and foremost to Safety.
All candidates will be tested on their corresponding knowledge, including a hands on bench test.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities
- Directly supervises activities related to the controls and electrical maintenance function including, but not limited to: equipment and facilities maintenance, HVAC management, capital projects, and the purchase and inventory of equipment and supplies necessary to accomplish all functions.
- Orientates, trains, disciplines, promotes, and monitors safety and job performance for the controls and electrical maintenance department.
- Gives technical support, training and guidance to operations and maintenance personnel as needed.
- Directly supervises and conducts performance appraisals of all direct reports.
- Develops weekly work schedules and weekend project plans.
- Completes and approves weekly payroll activities.
- Monitors adherence to the Attendance & Punctuality policy.
- Supervises technician's daily/weekly productivity and provides timely feedback as required.
- Develops overhaul schedules and plans related costs.
- Minimize and Control overtime budget.
- Develops work teams of maintenance and/or production employees working toward common goals, and organizes and facilitates work team meetings.
- Coordinates all necessary training and regulatory certification for controls and electrical maintenance staff.
- Coordinates maintenance activities with maintenance employees by assigning CMs (Corrective Maintenance), PMs (Preventive Maintenance), work orders, changeover, and other duties as needed.
- Ensures proper inventory control of repair parts, stand-by and idle equipment, and spare parts in conjunction with the Spare Parts Department.
- Proactively establishes priorities on all controls and electrical maintenance projects, and plans work schedule to reduce negative impact to regular production schedules whenever possible,
- Ensures good communication concerning controls & electrical maintenance projects.
- Assists in the preparation of Capital Expenditure Requests (CAPEX) projects.
- Identifies resources for the maintenance department.
- Negotiates with sub-contractors and outside vendors to attain the most cost effective technically sound solutions to maintenance projects.
- Sign off on project scopes of work for control projects.
- Ensures adherence to Bacardi's specifications.
- Administers and maintains work order program, directs the maintenance program, assures work order requests are being fulfilled, including percentage completion log, critical corrections, and communicates appropriate upgrades within the program as necessary.
- Assure production needs are met whenever possible.
- Coordinates with the plant's technical resources to assist other departments when needed.
- Maintains close working relationships with Environmental, Health & Safety Department
- Assist reliability effort through guidance and Team training.
- Assist Operations and Maintenance in troubleshooting instrument and control problems.
- Provide troubleshooting, problem-solving, and root cause failure analysis and communicate efficiently results / findings to affected parties.
- Execute, control, and oversee (validation) all modifications to control systems.
- Active participation to Commissioning on Network Communications, Distributed Control Systems and Human Machine Interface (HMI).
- Field commissioning as required.
- Apply continuous improvement and lessons learned to improve future results.
- Establish detailed activity / completion reports and communicate efficiently with Manager, Project engineering group and final customer
- Oversee subcontractors for controls Projects.
- Establish obsolete component replacement plan and Propose equipment upgrades, new software configuration, network and console upgrades, and troubleshooting control equipment.
- Complies with Company and plant policies.
- Complies with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Provides an active leadership role in sanitation, 5S and housekeeping
- Flexibility to travel as needed, work overtime and outside normal schedule as required.
Performs all other duties as assigned or requested.
Measures of success
Critical experiences for success
- BS in Electrical Engineering with a focus on industrial controls and Automation. Related working Experience and Knowledge necessary
- 2 to 5-year Supervisory work experience in high speed packaging environment
- 8 to 10 years' experience in Automation, Process Control repairs and improvements. Electromechanical repairs in a Bottling or packaging high speed equipment as well as some experience in Processing Equipment.
- Working knowledge in automation and process control systems (DCS, Allen Bradley PLC, Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition (SCADA), Ethernet Network, etc.).
- Requires excellent analytical and problem-solving skills to be applied in Electrical, programming and troubleshooting of process and packaging systems. Experience with Industrial Communication Networks and control panel is also required.
- Working knowledge of control systems and instrumentation are required.
- AutoCAD working experience is required.
- Need to possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with all levels of management, clients, and vendors.
- Must be self-motivated and a motivator in a team environment.
- Must possess documented work experience involving industrial, heavy industrial and technical control experience.
- Packaging Machine Controls working experience.
- Strong project management skills
- Experience with EIT software
- Six Sigma Green Belt certification
- Strong conceptual capability
- Networking capability, teamwork and collaboration
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral)
- Must be flexible and a motivated self-starter
- Have ability to handle multiple tasks and a high volume workload with shifting and competing priorities
- Working Industrial Experience with:
- Allen Bradley/SLC family using RSlogix 500 software
- Allen Bradley/Control Logix family using RSlogix 5000 software
- Allen Bradley/HMI Panelview family using Panelbuilder 32 software
- Allen Bradley/HMI Panelview plus family using Rsview ME software.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of electrical safety (NFPA 70E /2015), ability to comply with all company safety requirements and standards (i.e.: ISO-9000, ISO-14000, ISO-18000, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), General Manufacturing Procedure (GMP), and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP)
- Project management experience / Managing deadlines
- Must possess strong organizational skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and dependable
- Strong commitment to team concept
- Good problem solving and trouble-shooting abilities
- Good training capabilities
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, WORK AIDS:
- Personal computer, PLC, computer software, AutoCAD, engineering software, Allen Bradley software, Microsoft Office, reference manuals, hand tools, diagnostic equipment, general office supplies and equipment.
- Participate in and support the BBC Business Continuity Plan
- Adhere to all environmental, health, and safety guidelines and regulations
- Promote and support the Bacardi Corporate Quality Policy
- Promote and support the Bacardi Corporate Social Responsibility Program
- All protective equipment required by company policy and/or State law.
Our ways of working
Our family legacy has positively influenced our ways of working and has shaped the values to which our employees aspire. We're caring, like a family, and not only internally, but also in the wider communities in which we operate. This is demonstrated by our commitment to both act responsibly and promote the choice to drink responsibly. We trust one another, and through that trust are able to forge strong teams and networks that empower our matrix organization