Reports to: Managing Editor, Imbibe
Based at: Richmond, Surrey, UK
Since its launch in March 2007, Imbibe magazine has established itself as the UK’s leading publication for on-trade drinks professionals. To put the Imbibe philosophy in a nutshell, we like to think that we’re not just reporting on what’s happening across the on-trade, we’re helping to drive an agenda for excellence.
Published quarterly, Imbibe has an ABC-audited circulation of more than 15,000 drinks buyers, key pourers, owners, managers and customer influencers. Imbibe’s editorial coverage takes in all the main drinks categories, from wine to water, spirits to soft drinks. This collective experience has enabled Imbibe to develop a strong and engaged relationship with the on-trade – one that is responsive both to the information needs of on-trade professionals and communication needs of premium drinks brands. Imbibe has a flourishing online presence with its responsive website and weekly email newsletter, and its social influence is growing all the time, particularly through Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
We’re looking for a talented online editor with at least two years of experience writing about wine, beer and spirits, and the UK on-trade.
You’ll be a digital native with a keen news sense, who’s adept at turning round sharp, shareable content, with snappy, SEO-optimised headlines, and who is bang up-to-date on the latest digital and social-media trends.
The ideal candidate will have a genuine interest in both the on-trade and the drinks industry, contacts behind the UK’s most exciting bars, and bucket-loads of ideas for stories.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY SKILLS:
• Source, write and develop news stories, working to tight daily deadlines without compromising on accuracy. Write advertorials and occasional features for the magazine.
• Manage online production schedule; commission articles from freelances and the in-house team; and upload content to website via CMS.
• Manage social media channels and leverage web content across them in a creative and engaging way.
• Monitor web and social-media analytics and report key findings to the wider team. Use these findings to develop a web and social-media strategy.
• Create Imbibe’s weekly e-newsletter, including any scheduled client coverage.
• Subedit and proofread articles to a consistently excellent standard; revise magazine articles for the web, optimising content for SEO; source and resize images.
• Represent Imbibe at drinks events, launches and tastings, which may be outside standard office hours, and attend occasional press trips in other parts of the UK and abroad. Work with the marketing team to shape and create content for Imbibe Live.
• Computer skills: Good working knowledge of Photoshop, InDesign, CMS and Google Analytics.
• Drinks-tasting experience and WSET qualifications would be a major plus, but not essential.
• Practical knowledge of media law.