As a member of the Corporate Tax Department, the tax specialist will support all tax reporting processes involving tax operations and reporting including direct and indirect tax compliance. In addition, the tax specialist will provide oversight and guidance to administrative personnel in the Corporate Tax Department with respect to administrative tasks related to tax reporting processes.
The successful candidate will possess excellent organizational skills, the ability to work in a team environment and at least a basic understanding of income tax principles.
- Prepare basic tax returns and accumulate supporting data and documentation for other tax return preparation and calculations
- Process electronic and hard copy income and franchise tax returns with IRS and state and local tax authorities
- Maintain electronic workpaper files for the Company's tax returns and tax provisions, tax research files and other filing and processing as needed.
- Ensure that tax return files are up to date and filed appropriately, including the scanning of tax returns and other tax data
- Prepare tax provision and tax return workpapers, including downloading trial balances and depreciation schedules
- Process check and EFT requests related to payment of direct and indirect taxes with assistance from administrative staff
- Prepare and post journal entries for tax related general ledger accounts as directed
- Perform tax account reconciliations with respect to accruals, cash tax payments and refunds (direct and indirect taxes)
- Supervise preparation and filing of secretary of state annual reports by administrative staff
- Track and correspond with any outside service providers engaged to prepare certain indirect tax returns and other state and local tax filings
- Coordinate sales & use tax filings that are currently outsourced, including data collection, responding to questions from outsource vendor, and processing payment requests
- Analyze property tax data and prepare tax returns with assistance from administrative staff
- Coordinate data collection with accounts payable, payroll, credit and other relevant departments in order to facilitate the reporting of escheated property
- Perform other administrative duties as needed to support the tax department processes and procedures, including assistance with maintenance of income tax filing calendar to ensure all returns, extensions and payments are filed in a timely manner and appropriate documentation is maintained
- Respond to questions related to vendor tax documentation such as W-9 and W-8BEN forms as needed
- Obtain and maintain U.S. residency certifications
- Assist in state registrations and other miscellaneous tax registrations as needed
- Gather information as directed to respond to tax notices and maintain a log and track outstanding audit notices and tax return notices received from various tax authorities
- Prepare correspondence to taxing authorities as directed
- Work with administrative staff to analyze tax department budget and actual procurement data
- Assist with maintenance of system access, product update and overall operating effectiveness of electronic tax preparation systems, hard copy and electronic tax research systems and electronic document repository
- Assist with the preparation of power point presentations for tax department personnel
- Perform other duties as assigned by tax department personnel
- Associate Degree in Accounting or Finance required
- Minimum of 5+ years of relevant experience in working in an administrative or in a paraprofessional role within a tax or finance organization of a corporation or in an accounting firm
- Ability to analyze financial statements, general ledger accounts, and prepare accounting workpapers
- Expert proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is required; knowledge of Google docs would be helpful
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting or Finance preferred
- Experience in using ERP computer systems such as SAP, necessary to gather tax return data and or prepare tax returns would be preferable but not required
- Knowledge of OneSource (TaxStream) and/or other equivalent provision and compliance software would be helpful
- Puts new knowledge, understanding, or skill to practical use on the job
- Identifies the need for and collects information to better understand issues, problems, and opportunities
- Responds quickly - takes immediate action when confronted with a problem or when made aware of a situation.
- Balances independent action with need of others to be involved
- Identifies and participates in appropriate learning activities (e.g., courses, reading, self-study, coaching, experiential learning) that help fulfill learning needs
- Brings necessary energy and work ethic
For more than 145 years, Brown-Forman Corporation has enriched the experience of life by responsibly building fine quality beverage alcohol brands, including Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey, Jack Daniel's & Cola, Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey, Jack Daniel's Tennessee Fire, Gentleman Jack, Jack Daniel's Single Barrel, Finlandia, Korbel, el Jimador, Woodford Reserve, Old Forester, Canadian Mist, Herradura, New Mix, Sonoma-Cutrer, Early Times, Chambord, BenRiach and GlenDronach. Brown-Forman's brands are supported by nearly 4,600 employees and sold in approximately 160 countries worldwide
For more information about the company, please visit http://www.brown-forman.com.
We're on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BrownFormanJobs
See us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/brown-forman
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.