About the role
The position of Food & Beverage Manager is a senior role which oversees the daily operation of a customer facing information and retail service business which welcomes 100K visitors annually. The Bombay Sapphire Distillery is opening a new Café in early 2019, which will provide refreshments to visitors as well as small meetings and events catering. This role will be key in setting new procedures and policies to ensure legal compliance and exceptional standards of customer service, ensuring they are maintained and improved where possible.
Bombay Sapphire takes great care, uses great skill and creativity in everything it does. Sustainability is a key aspect
of the Laverstoke development, and something the brand works hard to achieve and celebrate. The right candidate
will be passionate about these core company values and use them as an approach to all their work.
The Food & Beverage Manager role is highly operational, leading and working alongside the host team to provide
guests to Bombay Sapphire Distillery with a premium experience befitting the brand, driving both brand equity and
income. Developing a strong link within the duty management team to deliver the daily operation of this world class,
award winning experience, delivering results for external and internal customers whilst living the Bacardi values of
Passion, Trust, Caring & Excellence. They will also oversee the operational effectiveness and line management of
the Bar and Café teams, ensuring the consistency and quality of cocktail making and serving in the Bar, and
food/refreshment service in the Café, in line with the brand requirements.
The role will work in conjunction with the Duty Management (DM) team to oversee all shifts, including scheduled and
ad-hoc events. An eye for detail is required to ensure the exacting standards of the brand. Good interpersonal skills
will also be essential to train and motivate the team to meet performance targets.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities
- Bar & Café Management
- Deliver an efficient and consistent high-quality food and beverage service to all visitors.
- Management of direct reports in the team, setting objectives and supporting development through 1-1 meetings and appraisals to effectively manage performance and to achieve relevant KPI targets.
- Financial management of budgets, including tracking, monitoring and reporting as required. Use EPoS and management systems to generate relevant reports to review and share performance.
- Maintain effective systems for ordering, stock control/rotation and maintenance of equipment.
- Cash handling and banking responsibilities.
- Creation and ongoing revision of menus, adapting to changes such as seasonality, availability or cost.
- Assist the Brand Ambassador with cocktail creation and costing, to ensure they meet the requirements of financial targets and meet company social responsibility guidelines.
- Responsible for the quality of cocktail serves in line with the Brand requirements, performing periodic training and reviews to ensure a consistent and quality product and service.
- Ensure adequate staffing levels through completion of department rota and holiday requests/cover, in line with budget. Liaise with other managers as appropriate to efficiently allocate resources.
- Ensure all food hygiene and HACCP compliance is maintained and adhered to by all staff at all times through proper record keeping, liaising with relevant authorities where necessary and ensuring legal compliance related training is completed.
- Make social responsibility a key priority. Following completion of training, ensure that measures are followed at all times, regularly conducting audits to ensure compliance with licensing, and Food/Trading Standards.
- Deliver and promote exemplary standards of cleanliness, presentation and service. Maintain outstanding customer service standards at all times, promoting a culture throughout the team of exceeding expectations.
- Opening & closing the distillery experience, conducting cleanliness and safety checks prior to opening to the public and ensuring standards are maintained throughout each day.
- Remaining on site throughout the duty management shift, liaising with other managers in the event of unavoidable departure.
- Lead the day-to-day running of shifts, ensuring levels of presentation and service are consistently high.
- Oversee daily cash and banking responsibilities and systems of accountability (daily floats, safe checks etc.).
- Monitoring and managing staffing levels and allocation of staff resources to meet visitor demand.
- Resolve any customer queries or complaints in an appropriate manner.
- Ensure that social responsibility measures are in place at all times.
- Maintaining PAR level of stock - placing daily, weekly and ad-hoc orders.
- Accepting deliveries, ensuring safe offloading and storage.
- Acting as a marshal in the event of a fire or other emergency evacuation.
- Liaise with contractors to report/resolve any technical issues, minimizing the impact visitors and the business.
- Responding to first aid calls.
- Assisting with group visit arrivals, greeting coaches in compliance with risk assessments.
- Ensuring daily reporting is completed at the end of trading and any monies secured safely in line with procedures.
- Communicating effectively with other members of the DM team to ensure handover of relevant information
- In conjunction with other managers, carry out a morning briefing to communicate daily targets and any relevant information such as group visits, events, internal guests or H&S updates.
- Attend and input into team meetings and cascade information to relevant staff.
- Act as an ambassador for Bombay Sapphire at all times, when communicating with both internal and external contacts.
- Handle media enquiries in accordance with training, communicating agreed messages where necessary - and refer to a media spokesperson for the company.
- Assist with the recruitment and selection of staff to create a skilled and enthusiastic team.
- Assess the training needs for each role, carrying out staff training as necessary to certify competency.
- Manage HR issues and queries in conjunction with and support from HR Partner.
- Ensure staff timesheets are completed accurately, liaising with Administrator/Payroll as appropriate.
- Track annual leave/absence and report to HR in line with monthly deadlines.
- Promote equality in the work place, showing awareness of DDA and other requirements and taking reasonable measures to fulfill responsibilities.
Compliance and Protection
- Ensure that Bombay Sapphire Visitor Centre complies with all corporate governance and EHS licensing legislation.
- Ensure the Visitor Centre operates within internal Bacardi guidelines, and H&S systems/protocol.
- Ensure that the Health & Safety at Work regulations are enforced and that all regulations regarding the safety of the public and staff are adhered to.
- Promote safety in the workplace at all times.
- Ensure that all staff are trained to conduct their jobs in a safe manner, which may include the safe use of equipment, storage of materials, protection of vulnerable customers and staff alike.
- Ensure that all relevant certification and documentation is in place and displayed where necessary.
- Ensure the building is maintained in a safe, presentable and well-maintained condition.
- Ensure that the names of qualified First Aider's are displayed clearly and that one is always on site during working/opening hours.
- Ensure that all lifesaving equipment is maintained, serviced and tested regularly and actions recorded.
- Contribute to the ongoing site development plan - assisting with any capex developments relating to food & beverage.
- Represent the VC at trade events, local sponsorship/community events and other offsite events requiring brand presence, where required.
- Contribute to the implementation of the site marketing strategy.
- To assist other Managers with the organisation and smooth operation of any functions or events taking place within the business.
- To build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders of the Company including any agencies with whom we work.
- To do any other reasonable duty as required by the Visitor Centre Operations Manager or General Manager, in accordance with the needs of the business.
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours according to the business requirements, including evenings, weekends and public holidays.
Measures of success
- Commercial success, P&L Management / Delivery of budgets including: visitor numbers, sales and revenue growth
- Quality audits, visitor feedback
- Employee Enagagement - Drive sustained improvement in engagement and enablement, as measured through the Employee Engagement Survey (EES)
Critical experiences for success
Work Experience requirements;
- Previous experience in managing food and drink service in restaurants, bars and/or cafés
- Knowledge of Health and Safety and food hygeine requirements within the workplace, and strong knowledge of workplace laws and guidelines.
- Management or supervision of a customer facing team delivering against a range of KPIs including financial and service delivery targets.
- Experience of centres, attractions and leading leisure facilities
- Good fiscal understanding (P&L, margins, budgets etc.)
- Experience of stock management, including PAR levels and ordering
- Cash handling, security and reconciliation
- Food hygiene, health & safety (e.g. IOSH) or COSHH qualifications
- Personal licence
- Three years working in a similar business function in hospitality/tourism/leisure.
- Must be highly capable in the use of all Microsoft tools including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Highly organised and comfortable working wi